Saturday, August 27, 2011

More Alaska

Tomorrow is my last day here in Alaska...actually half day. I leave to travel home in the afternoon and I am so sad. I could stay easily another week. I brought a few stitching projects with me (of which none got done) and a book that only got partially read but I have never had one dull moment. This black bear below is what we watched all day yesterday but I never had my camera with me when he was around to get a good shot of him. This was taken while we ate dinner through the dining room window. I had to zoom it to get a close enough shot and by the time I did all this he turned around and was heading away from me. We spotted him early in the morning, he had found some trash to get into. Even after the trash was gone he kept coming back. I guess he was hoping for more. I never saw him again after dinner but I heard he was spotted even the next morning. I am a little disappointed that I never got to see any moose...oh well, I guess I will just have to come back again.

Today we took a day cruise in Glacier Bay National Park. It is a little late in the season for the cruise and pretty chilly but we did see some whale, lots of birds, some Mountain Goats and these sea lions. There were quite a few of them and they were just hanging out being lazy. We also saw alot of sea otters. They are all over in the ocean flipped over on the backs relaxing. All you see is their head and feet sticking out.

The glaciers were beautiful and amazing. We stopped in one area where they were breaking off into the water. As we sat there several times you would hear a loud thunder and then al huge chunk would come tumbling down into the water. We went through miles of water with chunks of ice floating in it. The park ranger that was with us explained that each day now more will fall off before they would build up again in the winter, but there are many miles of these glaciers that we couldn't see so they would never disappear completely. Well at least not in our life time anyway. He did show us a time lapse diagram of how over many years they are gradually disappearing.


Altho my trip here in Alaska is almost over and I am sad to leave, I have had the time of my life. It is a trip that I hopefully will get to make again. I have enjoyed every minute I was here thanks to Carla and all of her family here at the lodge. And even more thanks to my great boss that gave me this opportunity to come.





1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful trip you got to enjoy! Well deserved! Hope you come back all rejuvenated to tackle life! I'm thrilled you got to do some fun trips while there, the cruise around glacier bag sounded great! We'll have lunch soon to hear the details! have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete