Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Special Quilt

This quilt is a very special quilt for me. First I made it for my sweet little grand neice, Avery, who is just a month old. I wanted to take her picture with it but she was asleep and I didn't want to wake her. But what makes this quilt the most special was that the quilts blocks that I used to make it were made by a dear friend of mine, Linda, who passed away from cancer about 5 years ago. I was lucky enough to get these blocks after her passing from her husband. He has been so kind to all of us that were in a quilt group with Linda and each year at Christmas he parts with some of her quilting stash. She had quite alot because we are still getting some each year. I was lucky enough to get some of her stuff when she was still here too. I always laugh when I think about her. She was a perfectionist and if something was even a stitch off she wouldn't use it. She would just throw it out. I told her I was going to start going through her garbage and after I told her that she begin to give me little thing here and there. Some stuff I would ask her what was wrong with it and she wouldn't even remember. Obviously I am not a perfectionist because I loved getting her cast offs. Now I look at some of the stuff she gave me and I try to find what she thought wasn't perfect...some times I can find something and some times I can't, but I do love to sit and reminise about Linda. So when our cute little Avery arrived I decided it was time to get these blocks out and put together a sweet little quilt for a sweet little baby. I do have to say tho, that some of the blocks that I got had red in them and I pulled them all out so that I could put together a little wall quilt for me to remember Linda by. Linda knew I love the color red and it would probably make her smile to know that I am using all the red blocks for myself. I hope Avery will cherish her quilt as much as I will mine when I get it put together.
Oh and by the way...I found 3 blocks that the pinwheel went the wrong direction and just wouldn't work in the quilt (probably the reason she didn't finish it herself) and I am going to make a small table runner with those. Miss you Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment